July 18, 2022
Testosterone plays an important part in the male body. As a primary sex and anabolic hormone, testosterone promotes muscle and bone mass, regulates fat distribution, regulates sex drive, and aids in the production of red blood cells.
While there is rapid production of testosterone during young teen years to young adult years, it starts to decline when men reach 30 - 40 years old. Levels of testosterone also vary according to body type, build, blood levels, diet, and other pre-existing medical conditions. Symptoms of low testosterone may include depression, fatigue, trouble concentrating, weight gain, loss of muscle tone, and low sex drive.
A simple blood test can be performed to check if your numbers are low, and if they are, there are many options available to help restore it to normal range. One of the safest and most popular ways of doing this is by testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). TRT can be in the form of injections, creams, and pellets, which can help men improve their symptoms and restore testosterone levels in the body. The benefits of TRT include:
- Improvement in musculoskeletal composition. This means seeing an increase in muscle tone and bone strength, and a decrease in fat. When paired with a healthy diet and regular exercise, results lead to an overall lean body composition.
- Enhanced brain function and cognition. By increasing testosterone naturally, it can benefit and help improve memory, thinking capabilities, mood, fatigue, depression, and irritability.
- Reduced inflammation. By reducing inflammation in the body, the risk of other more serious conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer are also reduced.
- Improved heart health. Healthy levels of testosterone can help aid the production of red blood cells, as well as help support a healthy heart as it provides the body with blood and oxygen for optimal health.
- Increased libido. TRT can help benefit sexual health by increasing desire, erectile function, and performance.
If you are interested in learning more about testosterone replacement therapy, have questions, or would like to schedule an appointment, we invite you to contact us at Family Health Nurse Practitioner of Rochester by calling 585-643-7393, visiting our contact page, or scheduling an appointment through our website.
Family Health Nurse Practitioner of Rochester is located at 656 Ridge Road, Webster, NY 14580 and provides high-quality, client-focused, functional medicine services to those in Webster, NY and throughout the Rochester area.